Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Sayonara Japan



My lovely ladies of Friday Conversation Class
I have been back in Oregon for almost a week, enjoying beautiful weather before the wet weather sets in.  My last six months in Japan were the exact opposite of the first six months.  Due to existing school schedules that were not flexible to accommodate the new position they created for me, (Coordinator for International Relations between Yamagata City and Florence, Oregon),  I spent my first six months following ALT's around to all 13 elementary and jr. high schools in Yamagata City.  I also visited the many pre-schools and taught adult English in one of the community centers.  After the new school year started in April, I became the ALT (assistant language teacher) at 2 Ijira Elementary Schools and the Ijira Jr. High.  I also started teaching more adult sessions, so needless to say the "teacher" in me was much happier the second part of the year.  Here are a few pics of some of my adult and children's classes I taught since April.


6th graders at Ijira Minami


I told the elementary students in Ijira that this would be my last teaching assignment after 36 years of teaching.  Let's see if I can figure out what to do with myself if I stick to this plan.  Below are just a few pictures out of thousands that we took in Japan.  Charly and I are already missing our wonderful friends to made, the incredible food, the temples and castles, and the amazing beauty we enjoyed in Ijira and all around Gifu prefecture.

Charly loves the creepy crawlies



Amazing food


drying persimmons / kaki


Nagoya Castle 

Even the bugs are beautiful

1,000 year old cherry tree
Every city has there signature man-hole covers / Gujo 


Mino washi lantern.....works of art 




Good-bye party with great friends at our favorite soba restaurant


Tea ceremony in traditional home in Ijira 

Taiko Drumming at Coming of Age Ceremony


Pagoda at Gifu  Koen


Our favorite local temple at Ijirako


Kyoto temple 

Best sushi ever.....thanks Sano-san


Warrior protecting temple at Ijirako

"Ya put your right hip in"    Ijira pre-schoolers

                            Doumo Arigato Gozaimasu.....Japan!
What an amazing year.......where to next?   That's the question.  All Charly and I want to do is travel again.

No comments:

Post a Comment