Friday, January 21, 2011

We're Here!

Charly and I were both grinning from ear to ear as we flew into the Paro Airport.  I've been to lots of airports around the world but flying into Bhutan is truly an awe inspiring experience.  After you view the Himalayas sticking up above the clouds, you suddenly dip and turn around many valleys until you suddenly come to into the Paro valley.  The airport itself is beautiful with traditional wooden trim and lots of traditional paintings.

The Bhutan Canada Foundation duo Meena and Karma were at the airport to greet us and whisk us through customs.  We have a very diverse group of people going through the orientation in Thimphu starting Mon. the 24th.  Though Charly and I are obviously the senior members of this group of eighteen, there is a great spirit of camaraderie already.  Everyone seems to be very happy to embark on this adventure.


 Charly and I at Paro Airport
Paro Airport 
This is day two in Paro and Charly and half the group decided to hike up to Tiger's Nest.  I unfortunately am getting the travelers stomach out of the way early and can't get too far away from the guest house.  I think I brushed my teeth in Bangkok with tape water.....I know better.  I am going with the crew to the National Museum this afternoon.  I will add more pictures soon but it is going to be a challenge to decide what to add as there is so many photographs in this country and I've only been here two days.

3 comments:

  1. Hope you have fun! If you get an email make sure you tell me!

    -Karmen Trebolo

    P.S. Just in case you forgot my email, It's karment22@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops... I meant if you get an email from me please reply...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you have already increased your GNH, you both look so happy. BTW...the blooms on my desk have increased my GNH! Thanks so much! I can't wait to see and hear more about your journey - best wishes for continued safe and happy travels.

    ReplyDelete