Friday, February 18, 2011

1st week of school

I wanted to share a few pictures and thoughts about my first week of school at Mongar Lower Secondary School (PP-8th grade).  This blog goes out to my old colleagues at Siuslaw Elem. School in Florence, Oregon.  The pictures are of the students doing "social work."  Every morning before morning assembly the students, sweep, wash, pick up litter, and generally clean their classrooms and the school grounds.  They even bring their own brooms from home.
Note the brooms the boys use


Everyone is given an area to clean and it is a very efficient process.  Can you image asking U.S. students to sweep the halls and wash the restrooms?
girls sweeping the courtyard


The first week of school has been dedicated to preparations for the 5th King's Birthday on Feb. 21st.  I have found myself in charge (with my special education partner Yeshey) of essays, poems, and pictures which will go on display at the parade grounds next Monday.  About twenty students volunteered to write or draw their sentiments about the king, while the rest of the 4th through 8th graders practiced marching for the festivities.  Charly has been helping everyday, thank goodness, because I can not help with the drawing.  I help them spell and help with correct English grammar.  Below are a few samples of their work.  They are all quite talented and write very flowery poems and essays.  One thing that is very obvious wherever we go in Bhutan, the people love their present and past kings.
Three great artists (Bhutanese symbols)
A poem about the King
Four Friends Picture 

I am looking forward to "regular" classes which will start on Feb. 24th.  The students are amazingly respectful.  As I walk toward my office, every student stands and says "Good Morning Madam."  I try to respond to them all, and listen to them giggle as I walk by.  My short curly hair and being a foot taller than most Bhutanese make me easy to spot in a crowd.  Charly and I are currently the only westerners in Mongar, but most locals are eager to say "hello" and give us a smile.  This is a great place to be a "filingpa!"

4 comments:

  1. Great post Julia! I love the pictures. Looking forward to hearing more, especially when regular classes begin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're grinning from ear to ear, too! The Ritts in Bhutan increasing the GNH index. Yea! You are having a worldwide effect. You go Ritts! Stu and Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julia!!!!!!!!!!! Wow!!!!!!!! So interesting! I passed along your blog site again with the staff...everyone has thanked me and said how interesting your posts have been! We are all thinking about you....and living vicariously through you! Keep posting...we all love to read them!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must feel great to be a respected teacher once again. Thank you for the pictures....all looks so colorful and respectful of the King. Miss you both, Tricia

    ReplyDelete