Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Out and About in Mongar

Charly and I are adjusting well to our new home in Mongar, Bhutan.  There are moments of frustration when  things at school or at home don't happen when they are scheduled.   Slowly we are getting into the Bhutanese mind-set of "if it happens, it happens.......if it doesn't, keep smiling anyway."  Here are a few pictures from school and from walks around town.

I gave a power point presentation of the water cycle for
International World Water Day / March 22

How's this for a great swing?
Mongar LSS / My favorite view of the school

Love the dragons they paint on the tents for special events. 
Students dancing at World Water Day Celebration!
I am not going to compete with my two BCF friends further east whom I have now dubbed "blogging queens," (Kendra & Vicki /amazing pictures).  I have been waiting for some big event to share, but the day to day happenings and pictures are actually a more accurate snap shot of life in Mongar.   I wanted to share a short video of Charly playing with our two year old neighbor Ishey, but it is just too much for our broadband connection to handle.  I will settle for photos.
                                          
                                                     This is an eight grade class I taught 6 trait writing skills to.
                                    They were wonderful and fun!

Miss Bhutan 2010 and I at the World Water Celebration!
She is wearing 4" heals, and I'm still taller.






1 comment:

  1. Hi Charly and Julie,

    Kim Stafford came by yesterday and said he had just missed you. He was there for two weeks, teaching...poetry? He said Charly's messages gave him a real boost and brought back floods of memories.

    Your pictures are great and I hope you keep them coming. It's so good that you are in a place where what really matters takes precedence!

    You chose well...we have unending rain here and fallout concerns from Japan. Otherwise we are all well.

    Love, Joann and Stuart

    ReplyDelete